M&M’s Candies Are Linked to anxiety, allergies, hyperactivity, migraines, cancer, and more.
Mars, inc. was founded by Franklin Clarence Mars. He started the Mars candy factory in 1911 in Tacoma, Washington. Their most popular candies is, M&Ms.
M&Ms first time were produced in 1941 and now are selling in more than 110 countries with 35 different fillings. The candy-coated chocolate was invented to make it easier for the soldiers to take chocolate without the worry of it melting. “Melts in your mouth, not in your hand”.
The two “M”s represent William F. R. Murrie and Forest E. Mars Sr, the son of Hershey chocolate’s president who had a 20% share in the product. This partnership gives permission to Mars to use Hershey chocolate in their products. Hershey had control of the rationed chocolate at the time.
In 1974, Red candies were eliminated due to customers health concerns of suspected carcinogen found in dye FD&C Red #2. Red candies were turn back on the market in 1986 and Mars, inc. has continued to receive large number of petitions for removing the artificial colors.
A press release from Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) and a petition by Change.org described the artificial colors as “neurotoxic chemicals”.
This petition was almost similar to that of Kraft, persuading them to remove hazardous Yellow #6 and Yellow #5 from its Cheese and Macaroni which was signed by 350,000 people.
The CSPI urged the petition to suggested warning labels listing the alleged risks of eight approved FD&C food colors. The CSPI’s Dr Jacobson said: “The evidence that these chemicals make worse some children’s behavior is convincing.
“I hope that the committee will recommend the agency to both require warning notices and encourage companies to switch to much safer natural colorings.”
Let’s look at the current ingredients listed on a bag of Original M&Ms:
Milk chocolate (artificial color, salt, soy lecithin, lactose, milk fat, cocoa butter, sugar, chocolate,), sugar, cornstarch, >1% corn syrup, dextrin, artificial colors (Blue 2, Yellow 5 lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1, Blue 2 lake, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), gum acacia.
What are the harm of these ingredients:
- Soy lecithin: 93% of soy is GM. Soy lecithin may lead to cerebral and behavioral abnormalities, has negative effects on reproduction and fertility, can cause breast cancer.
“Lake” within these artificial colors means salt was added to the color. This makes the color insoluble in liquids.
- Blue #1: Increase the chances of developing malignant tumors at the site of injection and by ingestion in rats. Possible effects include allergic reactions, low blood pressure, hay fever, hives, asthma, hives. Caution is recommended if aspirin sensitive.
- Red #40: Damages DNA, causes swelling around the hives, mouth, , hyperactivity in children and even cancer.
- Yellow #6: Can cause migraines, nettle rash, vomiting, diarrhea, allergic reactions, cancer, hyperactivity and swelling of the skin.
- Yellow #5: Can cause cancer, hyperactivity, allergic reactions.
- Blue #2: Is a petroleum-based product with a chemical formula of C16H10N2O2. It raises hyperactivity in children, increases brain tumors in lab rats and other abnormal cell development.
- Gum Acacia: Is a dietary fiber from the Acacia tree. It causes gas, bloating, nausea and loose stool.
Unluckily the Mars .inc has chosen to continue to use these artificial chemical colors because the FDA has announced they are safe for human usage. They choose to ignore the scientific results from researching ,stating otherwise, even though there are other natural, safe color alternatives. In 2007 Forbes reported Mars, inc. made $26.9 million dollars.
source: http://livingtraditionally.com/mms-candies-are-linked-to-cancer-migraines-hyperactivity-allergies-anxiety-and-more/http://perfecthealthytips.net/2016/06/12/mms-candies-linked-anxiety-allergies-hyperactivity-migraines-cancer/Health & Beautyallergies,anxiety,cancer,hyperactivity,M&M,migraines